A black Monday for Conde Nast

f7pqj1yzv2_bilde-1The weather today was quite lovely. Although in real-world Fall you can’t wear cut-offs like the model above, I felt the same sense of angelic splendor as I waltzed into work this morning. Then I logged onto Twitter and saw Conde Nast as a trending topic. The following Twitter breakdown ensued:

Slide1

I was sad for about 35 heartfelt seconds. Then I realized that although I will wholeheartedly miss Gourmet magazine (which was 70 yrs old!), Cookie, Modern Bride and Elegant Bride, Conde Nast has been eluding a much needed reality check for some time now.

Now, I love me some Conde Nast mags but I can’t afford anything in them (and neither can anyone I know). Therefore, having three bridal magazines that all advertise Vera Wang gowns, 5 carat David Yurman rings, and Tiffany wedding china isn’t really necessary. One will do just fine, and that is exactly what Conde Nast did today. In a tragic, but necessary move, they shaved off the excess.

Gourmet, Cookie, Modern Bride and Elegant Bride, you will be missed.

Slide1Photo from Dropular

• Reply Amy Cao October 5, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Clare, I completely agree. I’ve never even picked up those magazines because, while beautiful, they seemed both out of reach and out of touch. Thanks for another lovely, thoughtful post!

• Reply Monique October 5, 2009 at 9:30 pm

We get Gourmet at my job 🙁 I guess not anymore though. I agree 100% about the bridal magazines being out of touch with reality. Obviously they didn’t get the memo that we are in a recession and change accordingly.

• Reply thebeautyfile October 5, 2009 at 9:38 pm

omg. I read your title and was completely depressed. Then I read the post and feel much better about this whole situation. I guess in these rough times, you have to skim the fat wherever you can. I feel terrible that many people were most likely laid off though…

• Reply S.Elisabeth October 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Aw that’s sad, but I haven’t really looked at any of the magazines, so it’s not quite as sad as if some of my favorites had gotten the ax.
    I do feel bad for all those that lost their job though.

• Reply Ela October 5, 2009 at 10:16 pm

With this economy some of our favourites are bound to fold, my heart goes out to all, and their families, who lost their jobs. These are really tough times…

Have a great week, hon.

• Reply Kristin October 5, 2009 at 11:36 pm

Cookie? Nooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Reply Marcia October 5, 2009 at 11:44 pm

damn recession aint pretty

• Reply Stéphanie October 6, 2009 at 2:56 am

What a pity ! I used to read Cookie mag !

• Reply Jaime October 6, 2009 at 9:08 am

It is sad. I am mostly surprised about Gourmet..

• Reply Couture Carrie October 6, 2009 at 11:38 am

Wow ! I am especially surprised about Modern Bride ~ I thought that one was fairly popular?

xoxox,
    CC

• Reply Eva October 6, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Thats Really upsetting yet i do see what made them make the change .

• Reply B* a la Moda October 6, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I didn´t know all these about Conde Nast… It is sad to see so many magazines or newspapers closing. Times are definitely changing.
    I love the picture with the shorts. I posted some pictures with shorts too. But they were taken 3 weeks ago. Now it is harder to wear that look.

xoxo
    B* a la Moda

• Reply Sierra October 6, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Oh that is sooo sad, I work for a magazine company so it is scary how many mags are dropping like flies. I hope that we carry on and that some of my other favorite mags carry on as well…thanks for letting us know Clare and thanks for your sweet comment about the one photo shoot, thanks for inspiring me in the first place to post the pics. 🙂

• Reply Artistic Soul October 7, 2009 at 10:17 am

Agreed — I always liked the idea of Gourmet, but half the ingredients were things you couldn’t ever find at a regular store. And the recipes took FOREVER to make — almost 2 hr. average prep to eat time, and really, people don’t have that kind of time to cook when they’re busy with a full time job!