what was hot | what was not: 2009

Fashions come and go. Some I love, some I hate. Let’s take a look at some of the best and worst fashions of 2009.

Hot:

Pants? Who needs ’em? In a massive fashion shift, fashionistas from all walks of life ditched their beloved jeans in favor of skin-tight, ultra hot, leggings. Now the battle rages: Are leggings actually pants?

In a move away from the “homeless chic” look that permeated 2008, the boyfriend blazer was a sleek and tailored way to finish off an outfit.

Hot or cold; winter or summer… basically everyone wore a scarf with everything in 2009. And get creative with tying it, we don’t only wear them like this anymore.

The low-rise trend was unflattering for two reasons. 1. A low rise cut stops at your love handles… causing said handles to bulge over your pants and give the illusion that you gained 20 pounds by getting dressed. 2. you can ALWAYS see your butt crack… always. High waisted skirts give such a gorgeous, hourglass silhouette, I love them.

It was all about pretty and feminine in 2009. Headbands came back with a vengeance. They were big, eye-catching and always gorgeous.

Not:

MC Hammer called… he wants his pants back.

In another victory for the argument against taking fashion cues from volatile celebs; Kanye West wore these monstrosities a couple of times on the red carpet and at concerts. For some reason, real people on the street though it would be okay to wear shutter shades too. It was all very strange, sad, and wildly unfashionable.

Crocs are the terrifying result of what can happen when clothing is designed and sold for comfort only. While I fully support comfortable shoes, wearing what can only be described as two pasta colanders on your feet is utterly horrendous. If you want comfortable shoes, please see your local Nordstrom shoe department for a comfortable, yet fashionable, shoe consultation.

Gladiator sandals were one of my favorite trends this summer. I wore them almost every day. HOWEVER, when I saw gladiator sandals that went all the way up the leg and made the wearer look like she was preparing for a gladiatorial match, it makes the trend not as appealing.

I am a firm believer that ‘luxury’ brands that cover their stuff in logos cheapen the brand and make their lines look desperate and accessible. The whole idea of luxury is that not everyone can have it. After all, you can’t buy a t-shirt that says “Birkin”. Ed Hardy is cheap luxury. Remember, when buying overpriced clothing “money talks, but wealth whispers.”

What were your favorite trends of 2009? What trends did you hate? I LOVE when ya’ll leave your opinions, so get to commenting!

• Reply Leia December 22, 2009 at 1:06 am

Yayy I love this list! And I love all the ‘hots’ too 😀

• Reply Treacle December 22, 2009 at 2:49 am

I completely agree with everything on your list. The only thing I think I haven’t bought yet is the statement headgear. It’s hard to find something that won’t disappear in my hair!

• Reply Yvonne December 22, 2009 at 2:50 am

LoL I absolutely agree on everything but the crocs… but only for KIDS! that’s the prob. adults seem to think this trend was meant for them. no no, unless you’re under the age of 6, these little footsies were not made for your tootsies!

my fave trends of the year include sequins, stylish flannel comebacks (thank you AE), boots (pretty much every style lol)

• Reply Stéphanie December 22, 2009 at 5:43 am

Great post Clare ! I’m agree with you !

• Reply Sherin December 22, 2009 at 6:35 am

Great post! Bf blazers and statement headgear where definitely trends I loved this year. And I hated crocs and those unnecessary shutter shades as well.

• Reply Keith December 22, 2009 at 10:38 am

Hey Clare. Great list. I’m totally in agreement with you on what’s hot and what’s not. I hope your week started off well. Cheers!

• Reply Monique December 22, 2009 at 10:58 am

I agree with you on everything except the extra tall gladiator sandals. While I don’t have a pair myself I love them!! Especially since my girl crushes Mary-Kate and Ashley were pioneers in this trend 🙂

• Reply Emily December 22, 2009 at 11:18 am

I agree 100% –

Ed Hardy COMPLETELY tacky and brandy (if that’s a word) I can’t stand it!

The glasses – I feel like they were “in” two years ago..plus they aren’t even practical.

Harem pants – they remind me of like a genie or something, I could never imagine myself wearing anything of that sort.

I love this list. All the things you said you loved I agree with 🙂

• Reply Rosalyn December 22, 2009 at 11:46 am

LOVE the crocs commentary! Hilarious and true!

• Reply Couture Carrie December 22, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Fantastic roundup, darling! Love the “HOT”s and the quote about money vs. wealth!!

xoxox,
    CC

• Reply Couture Carrie December 22, 2009 at 12:03 pm

xoxox,
    CC

• Reply Liz December 22, 2009 at 12:27 pm

You might as well sign my name at the bottom of that list because I agree 10000000%!

• Reply Liz December 22, 2009 at 12:27 pm

• Reply Jaime December 22, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Totally agree w these… I don’t get why Ed Hardy won’t go away! lol

• Reply Jaime December 22, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Totally agree w these… I don’t get why Ed Hardy won’t go away! lol

• Reply Cafe Fashionista December 22, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Clare this is one of my favorite posts EVER – love it!!

My stand on the leggings debate…they are definitely pants – I wear them as such all the time, and love it!! And the bit about crocs and how they are “two pasta colanders for your feet” had me on the floor laughing – so fabulous!! 🙂

• Reply Cafe Fashionista December 22, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Clare this is one of my favorite posts EVER – love it!!

• Reply Shin December 22, 2009 at 3:09 pm

I agree with all the trends that are in and trends that are not!! You said exactly what I was thinking about harem pants and crocs!! So funny and so true! xxooxxoox

• Reply Shin December 22, 2009 at 3:09 pm

• Reply S.Elisabeth December 22, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Ooh love that money talks, wealth whispers quote, so true. Agree with all your ins and outs, though I thought harem pants, when done properly, looks so lovely. I remember I saw a girl in Greece with nineties Keri Russell hair and harem pants and she looks so casual and chic

• Reply S.Elisabeth December 22, 2009 at 3:58 pm

• Reply isquisofrenia style December 22, 2009 at 6:22 pm

hahha i hate the shutter shades hah

• Reply isquisofrenia style December 22, 2009 at 6:22 pm

hahha i hate the shutter shades hah

• Reply Clau! December 22, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I totally agree with your hot list, and also with some not hot items 😉

Saludos,
    Clau!

• Reply Clau! December 22, 2009 at 9:46 pm

I totally agree with your hot list, and also with some not hot items 😉

Saludos,
    Clau!

• Reply ash fox December 25, 2009 at 11:08 pm

omg! thank you for adding ed crappy to the lists of NOTS!

• Reply Becs December 28, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Clare, you are right on with everything! Those crocs need to go away for good! Who is buying them?!

xo, Becs

• Reply Christina December 30, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Totally agree with everything from the leggings all the way down to the cheap Ed Hardy commentary 🙂