Matrimony Monday: Dressing a Bride

Like most brides, my wedding dress was very important to me. Also like most brides, I had very particular wedding dress requirements. The list is below:

Wedding Dress Requirements

1. Not strapless – Okay, so here’s a note to brides who do not want a strapless dress. They are hard to find. I swear, trying to find a cute dress that wasn’t strapless was like trying to find Atlantis.
  2. A ballgown – Ballgowns are not as popular as they once were. It is all about mermaid, fit and flare, and shift styles these days, However, I wanted a ballgown — no matter what. It was the silhouette I always envisioned myself wearing, you know? Some things are just set in stone.
  3. No lace, sparkles, or crazy embellishments – Plain is my game, folks. I was very concerned about looking like a sparkly snow beast at my wedding so I wanted to keep embellishments minimal.
  4. Must be under $1,000 – Here’s the thing. A wedding dress is very important. But honestly, I wanted to put my budget into other things (i.e. photographer, flowers, food, yea — basically everything else.). I wore my wedding dress for twelve hours and I will never, ever wear it again. So I wasn’t going to spend a fortune on it. If you look hard enough, ladies, you can find a killer dress for a very good price.

Well, the wedding dress gods were smiling upon me on my search. I found the beautiful Mori Lee 4805 and it met every. single. one. of my requirements. It was also the first dress I tried on. It was meant to be.

All photos via: Katelyn James Photography  Flowers: Janie Medley  Dress: Mori Lee  Keeping my life together: Anna Burke Events

• Reply Claresmom July 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

And the dress was made beautifully, of fine fabric, and lovely detailng. You were gorgeous and the dress suited YOU perfectly!! Hurray for Mori Lee!!

• Reply mollystillman July 2, 2012 at 12:09 pm

i seriously fell in LOVE with your dress, clare!! the second i saw katelyn’s pictures of it. my golly. so gorgeous! and that first picture of you? seriously probably one of my favorite pictures EVER. you and i had similar requirements – mine was not allowed to be strapless (i wanted one-shoulder), i wanted buttons down the back, i wanted plain, and i wanted less than $800. i got ALL my requirements in my dress – no embellishments, totally plain, white, one shoulder, and buttons. BOOM. i was so excited. but seriously, clare. you looked gorgeous!

still being [molly]

• Reply CinZilicious July 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm

omg, you look stunning in that wedding dress!!!!!!!!! I love the ruffled detailing. First dress fitting and it fit like a glove? It was meant to be for sure;)

The photos look amazing, and the bouquet of flowers are so pretty. Gosh, your photographer took good snapshots of your special day!!!

Big congrats Clare=) Wishing you all the happiness in your new chapter in life as a wifey, hehe

• Reply Serendipity Vintage & Handmade July 2, 2012 at 12:44 pm

You certainly did not look like a snowbeast, LOL. It’s a lovely dress. And yes, it is hard to find a non-strapless dress these days. I was married 7 years ago and it was hard to do then as well. I love the bracelet you wore as well!

• Reply Holly J July 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I’ve been following your blog for YEARS, and seriously, it’s such a treat to be let in on this part of your life. I love your gown. It’s so elegant, beautiful, and yet still has this edge. The style of the halter is so different. Very modern.

lol…’sparkly snow beast.’ Too funny.

• Reply Sherin Malick (@HiFashionSherin) July 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I love that dress. It’s absolutely perfect for your wedding! You’re one gorgeous bride!

• Reply Sarah @ Shades of Sarah July 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Love it!! And yeah, I’m also protesting against the strapless trend – it just seems uncomfortable for such a long day! And I can’t believe your budget – awesome!

• Reply Candyfloss Persie July 3, 2012 at 12:43 am

wow- beautiful, beautiful!!!! and i love that it fit all of your requirements. how stunning. it is true that it is hard to find a dress that isn’t strapless- definitely saw that with my sister.

• Reply Megan, The Frugalista Diaries July 3, 2012 at 1:50 am

simply stunning
    Xo Megan

• Reply Cafe Fashionista July 3, 2012 at 9:23 am

Oh. My. Gosh. CLARE! You look so incredible! I am not even lying when I say that you are, hands down, the most beautiful bride I have ever laid eyes on. That dress is exquisite! :)

• Reply Anna Burke July 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm

You crack me up! Your dress will go down as one of my favorites. I think it will be super hard to top! Hope your first month of marriage has been awesome!!!

• Reply Anastasia July 4, 2012 at 1:35 am

Breathtakingly beautiful!

• Reply Asia July 4, 2012 at 6:25 am

Hey! I’m sending this message from Poland.In this summer it was my wedding dress too:) I think that We both looked gorgeous:)))) Maybe there’s no accounting for taste, but….hehe

• Reply biscuitsandnavy July 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm

This dress is gorgeous! And it has pockets!!! I’m officially obsessed.

• Reply Elvira August 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I absolutely love your dress! I have ALL the same requirements that you have! I just saw your wedding profiled on Munaluchi Bridal and instantly fell in love with the dress! You look gorgeous!!

• Reply Clare August 6, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Thank you, Elvira!! xoxo

• Reply Not Just Another Milla October 7, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Clare! How did I miss this?! You look absolutely stunning. Your dress is unique and love that you’ve gone with what feels right for you. So many brides opt for what everybody tells them is “is”. A ballgown. A beautiful ballgown for a beautiful bride.

Congratulations to you both!

• Reply Maggie November 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I recently tried on your beautiful dress at a store and love it. Is there any chance you would be willing to sell your dress? My email is if you are! Thanks!