How to double your winter wardrobe — for free

double your winter wardrobeIf you are arriving from Pinterest, welcome!

Feel free to stay for a while and take a look around!

The number one question I get asked again and again is — “How do you afford all of those clothes?!”

Well, I don’t.

I just wear the same thing over, and over, and over, and over again in new ways (See? I bet you didn’t notice how much I wore that chambray top haha).

Recycling items is especially important in the winter. When sweaters cost $70+ a pop, you probably aren’t snatching them up like hotcakes the way you do with $30 sundresses in warmer months (I’m definitely not). So I compiled a few of my secrets below to help you double your winter wardrobe without buying a single thing.

♥ Layer: I can’t stress enough how important it is to layer effectively . You can wear the same sweater with different button downs and blazers until the cows come home and no one will be the wiser. My girl Molly over at Still Being Molly put together an amazing post about how to layer. Check it out.

Use your basics: That plain blue blazer and perfect tartan shirt? That white cable knit sweater? Those dark  jeans? Keep wearing them. Those four basic pieces can create a ton of cute outfits. Check out the different ways I wore the same J. Crew flannel here, here, and here.

Don’t forget about your jewels: If you’re like me, you have tons of random jewelry lying around. Jewelry can completely change the look of your outfit and breath new life into something you’ve worn before.

Approach your closet with a positive attitude: One lesson I have learned from blogging is to look at my closet like a lovely little (super messy) boutique. If I approach my closet thinking that I have nothing to wear, then I will inevitably get discouraged. I have tons to wear (and so do you!). Sure, I may have worn that purple gingham tons of times and my celebration jacket may not be much of a party anymore. But I can certainly wear it again in a fresh way!

What tips do you have to double the size of your wardrobe without buying a thing?

• Reply Rebecca Lately January 10, 2013 at 9:07 am

These are awesome suggestions! I do the same things :)

• Reply mollystillman January 10, 2013 at 9:14 am

YES! such great suggestions – i do the SAMEEEE stuff. and people always ask me the same questions, “How do you have so many clothes?” I don’t. I switch it up and remix, yo! Thanks for the shoutout, BTW! :)

• Reply tiffany January 10, 2013 at 9:45 am

I esp did this when I was pregnant
    And still need to while I lose the baby weight.
    I love your style and your layers giving me new insight into my own closet :)

• Reply rachelfashionablyliving January 10, 2013 at 10:04 am

Clare, I love this post! It is so true we all have so much to wear, its all in our approach! Darling post, great job!

Rachel Ashley

• Reply Sherin Malick (@HiFashionSherin) January 10, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Great tips! I always struggle with making the most out of my wardrobe, butI love the idea of accessorising and layering.

• Reply refinedandpolished January 10, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Great tips!

• Reply Brittany January 11, 2013 at 10:09 am

Tights and turtlenecks under everything! They add color and warmth to garments that are normally spring/summer.

• Reply Clare January 11, 2013 at 10:18 am

Great tip, girl!! xo

• Reply Lily January 11, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Layering is the best. I’m a big fan (: Thanks for the tips!
    P.S. What kind of camera with what lens do you use? I’m looking for a DSLR and I really like your photos.

• Reply Clare January 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Hello Lily!

First, I love your name! Lily is my favorite name ever. Second, I use a Cana Rebel XS (basically the cheapest Canon you can buy) and I use the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens

• Reply Caitlin Wilson January 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm

I love these tips! And I so agree with you about jewelry. I’ve found that I’m much more likely to spend money on jewelry rather than clothing, just because I feel I can get so much more use out of the jewels!

• Reply CinZilicious January 13, 2013 at 11:38 am

Good tips girl and totally can relate to them! I especially agree with wearing basics and jewelry! Jewelry does absolute wonder to an outfit!!!

Wishing you a belated happy new year, Clare!!! All the best to 2013 and that you keep up your great outfit posts on your blog=D