What happens when a product junkie has a baby? She tests the baby products on herself, of course. Baby products are always touted as gentle, and kind, and wonderful. I needed to see for myself. What I discovered is that baby products really are more gentle than grownup products. Yet despite their toned-down ingredients, they are often just as effective. Quick Tip: If you have sensitive skin, I recommend always getting the baby version of everything for the rest of your days. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Mustela Facial Wipes: I decided to only use scent-free products on Hannah so I had a bunch of these Mustela Facial Wipes left over. The scent is lovely don’t get me wrong, I just did not want to put perfume on Hannah’s skin every day. So I started using them on her behalf. These wipes are great for refreshing your face on the go. But I really like using these on my hands. They aren’t a replacement for sanitizer, but if you have a messy lunch or your hands just need a pick-me-up, these little wipes will do the job and leave your hands soft and smelling great.
2. Boogie Wipes: When I first had Hannah, my very best friend sent me a care package of super useful baby products. I am talking a pack of basic white onesies, hand sanitizer, nursing pads, my favorite tea, candy, and Boogie Wipes (note: this is a really good idea and a perfect gift idea for a new mom.). I had never heard of Boogie Wipes before, but I am officially obsessed with them. They are ultra soft towelettes that are dampened with saline. They are awesome on baby noses, but they are also awesome for adults. I got my first cold of the season a few weeks ago and I was constantly blowing my nose. These wipes were so soft and refreshing it was like a cloud soothing my nose. The saline also helped to break down the nasties in my nose so I didn’t have any post-nose-blow stranglers (gross). Also, my nose never got chapped. These little wipes are the bees knees. I may never use a standard tissue again.
3. Honest Baby Wipes: Okay, I am not going to get too detailed on the benefits of using baby wipes, but I will say that not all wipes are created equal. I love Honest’s wipes because they are thick and have just the right amount of dampness. They are also completely scent-free which is very important. Also, wipes are great to have lying around for minor messes. I spend a lot of time cleaning up minor baby messes because my child is a mess ninja. It great to have an absorbent towelette to thoroughly clean things.
4. Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns: Dandruff is annoying. I got it something fierce during my pregnancy and I still struggle with it more than I used to. The issue with adult dandruff shampoo is that it is very harsh. My hair is very fragile and prone to extreme dryness so I need to be really careful with the type of shampoo I use. This shampoo is really amazing. It is foamy, and I really like foam because it’s super fun to play with. But in addition to the foamy wonderfulness this shampoo is also super gentle and very effective. Quick note, though. This shampoo is made for fine, glorious newborn hair. So if you have a lot of hair like me, you will need to use a lot of product.
5. Honest’s Organic Healing Balm: You know how the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding** puts Windex on everything to fix it? That’s how I feel about this healing balm. I put it on everything. My cuticles, my dry heels, my ashy elbows, etc. Technically this balm is supposed to be a diaper rash cream, but it performs much better as an all purpose moisturizer. The only issue I have with the Balm is it kind of smells weird. I think that’s because the Healing Balm is made with totally natural ingredients and is perfume-free, so that may account for the scent. Either way, I still highly suggest that you get some and put it your bag. You can thank me later.
** also that Big Fat Greek Wedding trailer is lol lol lol. It’s SO cheesy.